Puerto Rico’s property tax receipts up sharply after TimeXtender and Truenorth implement a data warehouse solution in just 15 days
Centro de Recaudación de Ingresos Municipales (CRIM) selects TImeXtender and Truenorth Corporation to deliver a complete data warehouse and advanced analytics platform.
TIME MATTERS IN GOVERNMENT
Time matters in government because citizens demand accountability. No citizen wants to see their taxes collected unevenly or spent carelessly. Puerto Rico’s government has attracted media attention recently as its citizens inquired about the property tax billing and collecting systems.
Early in 2018, just after category 5 hurricane María hit Puerto Rico directly, the property tax authority, “Centro de Recaudación de Ingresos Municipales (CRIM)” launched an initiative to improve its billing and collections processes. This initiative was high profile due to the impact of hurricane María and the associated media attention.
ANOTHER GOVERNMENT AGENCY SELECTS TIMEXTENDER
At TimeXtender, we are proud to bring you this story because governments large and small have implemented TimeXtender with immediate positive results. TimeXtender partners with technology consulting and systems integration firms on every engagement and worked side by side with Truenorth Corporation in Puerto Rico on this project. The CRIM set out to increase its income by at least 10% to satisfy the many needs of its citizens. In order to do this, the CRIM selected Truenorth and TimeXtender to integrate its many data silos.
Citizens are not naturally enthusiastic about paying taxes. They are apt not to pay if processes and systems are poorly implemented or if they don’t believe everyone is paying. In short, in order to work, the tax billing and collection system must be fair and easy to use.
The CRIM’s potential revenue estimation represents a multi-billion dollars opportunity. Unfortunately, only 22% of these funds are received due to billing and collections problems directly related to the data silos and lack of accurate information within CRIM’s many information systems.
Truenorth’s evaluation of CRIM’s data systems identified discrepancies in the properties pending for appraisals, the properties in CRIM’s billing system, and the properties in the digital cadastral database.
Truenorth was able to quantify over $250 million in specific potential yearly gains, representing a 31% increase in revenue:
- Undeliverable invoices due to incorrect addresses or contact information: Close to 117K instances, representing an annual net new revenue of $117 million
- Returned invoices due to incorrect addresses or contact information: Close to 104K instances, representing an annual net new revenue of $46 million
- Property improvements that are pending for appraisals: Close to 55K instances, representing an annual net new revenue of $22 million
- New pools that are pending for appraisals: Close to 28K instances, representing an annual net new revenue of $7 million
- New properties that are pending for appraisals: Close to 58K instances, representing an annual net new revenue of $62 million
Implementing a phased approach, the team brought together several Oracle databases, SQL databases, Hansen software, and a geographic information system. Truenorth and TimeXtender connected these data sources during a two-day on-site proof of concept.
Truenorth’s solution was then implemented in a multi-phased approach:
- Phase 1: Build a data warehouse to integrate the data silos within the CRIM’s billing system, appraisals system, and digital cadastral database. This phase also included the development of ETLs to cleanse, transform, and aggregate the data within the data warehouse, in order to be able to perform multi-dimensional analysis and data mining of this data and to develop Power BI reports, with real-time alerts, to visualize the data.
- Phase 2: Integrate data from other government agencies (Puerto Rico Aqueducts and Sewers Authority, Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, Puerto Rico’s Treasury Department, Puerto Rico’s Department of Health, and Puerto Rico’s Tourism Company), in order to identify new income streams and reduce fraud.
- Phase 3: The third phase of the solution included support services, in order to notify clients with potential income opportunities, invoicing of clients’ recognized debt, customer service activities, and improvements to the payment processes. The data warehouse will run on Microsoft SQL Server on-premises and the data visualizations will run on Microsoft Power BI. With TimeXtender generating the code required for managing these multiple data sources and delivering the data to Power BI, the CRIM team now has the data it needs to address the challenges ahead.
TRUENORTH AND TIMEXTENDER
Truenorth creates unquestionable value by effectively deploying the most reliable management and technology systems to protect or create revenue, profit, and customer loyalty. As a client-centric services firm, Truenorth is recognized for excellence and reliability and providing an exciting work environment for employees, while serving the community with dignity, transparency, and honesty.
TimeXtender enables businesses to make quality decisions faster. Easily merge data from a wide variety of data sources and use agile data modeling to effortlessly build a modern data warehouse and semantic model. TimeXtender is a single, integrated, metadata-driven, agile, and automated software platform.
VolkerWessels Bouw & Vastgoedontwikkeling Implements Innovative Data Warehouse Solution TimeXtender E-mergo, a specialist in business intelligence and TimeXtender® supplier, has implemented an innovative data warehouse solution at VolkerWessels Bouw &...
Colliers International Builds a Data Warehouse Without Programming Colliers International is a publicly traded international real estate consultancy that wants to offer forward-looking advice and maximize the value of real estate for real estate owners, real estate...
Cordstrap Safeguards its Data for the Future with TimeXtender Cordstrap is the global leader in products and systems to protect cargo carried by rail, ship, truck, and air. The company operates three international production centers, has over 500 employees in 22...
The Data Heart of TimeXtender is the Beating Heart of FM Group The FM Group was established in 1968 and is a company in flowers, plants, and accessories. Every day, 1700 employees in 17 countries on six continents work to deliver a wide range of fresh products to over...
TimeXtender Enables Pally Biscuits to Produce Smarter Pally Biscuits makes over three billion delicious biscuits every year. The company has been around since 1868. From its factory in the Dutch town of Nieuwegein, the biscuits find their way to more than 40...